Sustainable Architecture University Tour to Helsinki
Example study tour
Helsinki is a city of widely differing architectural styles making it a fascinating and inspirational place for an architecture field trip.
As part of the city’s sustainability goals, Helsinki’s overall aim is become carbon neutral by 2035. With that ambitious objective in mind, from 2021 onwards, all new buildings in Helsinki will be close to zero-energy. Along with upcoming projects, there’s already a wealth of sustainable buildings and residential areas, designed to provide students with an insight into sustainable developments, including:
- Viikki - Viikki is a small residential area which showcases sustainability in action. During the planning and construction of Viikki exceptionally strict ecological criteria were set by external consultants particularly concerning: the reduction of pollutants, the use of natural resources (reduction in fossil fuels, multi-purpose use of space), healthiness, and biodiversity.
- Oodi - Sustainable Library - Helsinki’s newest sustainable and architectural icon is in the very heart of the city. Apart from its striking design, Oodi is extremely energy efficient.
StudyLink have created a 4-day study tour package to Helsinki, enabling students to investigate the recent sustainable developments in the city, alongside the area’s mix of historic and new architecture.
Group travel services provided by StudyLink
- Return flights from a UK airport to Helsinki Airport
- Pre-booked and pre-paid train tickets to Helsinki and tram tickets to accommodation
- 3 nights’ B&B accommodation in a centrally-located hostel based on quad-sharing basis
- Pre-booked evening meals at the group’s accommodation
- Services of our representatives in Helsinki to provide 24hr assistance
- Entrance and guided tour of Oodi (Sustainable Library)
- Guided visit to Viikki residential area
- Private lecture and/or workshop by academics of the Helsinki Institute of Sustainability Science
- Guided visit of Recycling centre and store
- 1-hour electric scooter tour of Helsinki with guide
- Extensive group travel insurance
- Bespoke free place ratio
- Services of a dedicated Account Executive
- Bespoke itinerary planning service
- Online trip organiser & travel app
- Risk management services including live trip tracking & 24/7 on-call service
Custom-made 4-day itinerary to Helsinki
Day 1 - Arrive in Helsinki
After boarding a daytime flight to Helsinki, the group will make their way to the centre of Helsinki by train, followed by a short tram journey to the group’s accommodation.
Staying at a student-friendly hostel, the group will be based close to the city centre of Helsinki and within walking distance to Senate Square and Esplanadi.
The group will get the opportunity to explore the local area and enjoy a pre-booked dinner at their accommodation in the evening.
Day 2 – Viikki & Helsinki Institute of Sustainability Science
Continental breakfast served at the hostel.
The group will then benefit from a guided walk of Viikki. Viikki is a small residential area located approximately 8km from Helsinki which showcases sustainability in action. As well as eco-housing, complete with solar and wind energy systems installed, Viikki is home to the University of Helsinki’s biosciences departments, a Science Park, educational farms and water treatment plants, and open farmland which includes a wetland nature reserve.
After this visit the group will receive a private lecture by a HELSUS (Helsinki Institute of Sustainability Science) academic. Options include talks around Environmental Sustainability or Sustainability Science according to the group’s learning objectives.
In the evening, the group will enjoy a pre-arranged dinner at their accommodation.
Day 3 – Oodi Sustainable Library & Recycling Centre
Continental breakfast served at the hostel.
In the morning, the group will visit the city’s new fully sustainable library – Oodi. Here they will get to see its environmental design first-hand, and gain an insight into climate, energy and sustainability.
The group will also have the opportunity to visit a recycling centre and take an electric scooter tour around the centre.
In the evening, the group will enjoy a final dinner at their accommodation.
Day 4 – Return to the UK
Continental breakfast served at the hostel, the group will check out of the accommodation.
Depending on their flight time, the group can spend any free time enjoying the local area, before taking the tram and train to Helsinki Airport for their return journey back to the UK.
We’ll beat any like-for-like quote. Find out more.
Receive three initial quote options
To help you make the best value choice for your group. Find out more.
Number 1 on the SUPC Framework
StudyLink have been appointed as the number one ranked supplier for student travel management services, on the SUPC framework.