brexit travel header slk

Travel Advice


British Passport Holders - Passports should have at least 6 months validity remaining on them from the date of travel and be less than 10 years old (except for travel to Ireland).  If the traveller renewed a 10-year adult passport before it expired, extra months may have been added to the passport’s expiry date: these extra months will not count. 

You can check your passport validity here

Remember that it can take up to 10 weeks to get a new passport, and it will take longer for postal applications. We advise travellers to check the validity of their passport at the earliest opportunity.

British passport holder will no longer be able to use the EU or EEA passport lanes, therefore longer border control queues at the airport should be expected.

In addition to their passport, travellers may be asked to show:

  • A return or onward ticket
  • That they have sufficient money for their stay

We also recommend that all non-British passport holders have a minimum of 6 months left on their passport when re-entering the UK.



For short-term study trips, British passport holders will not require a Visa for travel within most EU countries (including Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland). Travellers will be permitted to stay for a maximum of 90 days in any 180-day period.

Although British citizens will not need a visa to visit Europe, a European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) is planned to be launched in 2024  for travel to EU member states. An ETIAS will be valid for 3 years, will cost 7 Euros (free to under 18s) and will need to be applied for before departure (online application).

Further information about the ETIAS system can be found here 

For foreign nationals studying in the UK,  a short stay visa or Schengen visa (Schengenvisum) may be required. Foreign nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland as well as some other countries are exempt from the visa requirement.

Passport holders from the UK or other eligible countries can travel to the USA under the Visa Waiver Program by obtaining an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA). It is equivalent to a visa but no stamp or label will be placed in your passport. Once issued is it valid for 2 years or until your passport expires whichever is sooner and allows multiple visits to the US. Anyone travelling to the US under the Visa Waiver Programme (WVP) will need to have a passport with an integrated chip (an ePassport) with this internationally recognised symbol on the front cover. It is the responsibility of each traveller to obtain the necessary documentation to satisfy the US immigration authorities. Please note that an approved ESTA is not a guaranteed admission to the United States at a port of entry.

Please note the US Government charges for this application. The current cost is $14.00 per person, though this is subject to change.

The help area on the ESTA website provides comprehensive information on the application process

Through the StudyLink Visa partner, your students can check the Visa and entry requirements for their study tour destination here


Airport Transit Visas:

For some international students, an airport transit visa may be required for travel between the UK and other third countries, when transiting via another EU member state (excluding Ireland, Iceland, Norway & Switzerland).

The airport transit visa allows travellers to make a short stop at an EU member state airport, for onward travel to a destination outside of the Schengen Area. 

If transiting via two airports within the Schengen area, for onward travel outside Schengen, they will need to apply for a short-stay Schengen visa. Airport transit visas should be obtained from the consulate of the country where the transit occurs.



Travellers can apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) which allows them to access state healthcare in Europe at a reduced rate or sometimes for free.

Any current European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC), will remain valid until the expiry date on the card. Once it expires, an application can be made for a GHIC to replace it.

Both cards will offer equivalent protection for emergency and medically necessary healthcare needs when in the EU on a temporary stay.  The new GHIC card is free to obtain from the official GHIC website. 

Further information about GHIC can be found here 

However, it is worth noting that the GHIC or EHIC is not a substitute for comprehensive travel insurance.



Insurance cover forms a vital part of your group travel package. As part of the UK’s leading worldwide group travel experts for higher and further education establishments, we provide specialist group insurance cover. 

You can read more about our insurance policy here


Data roaming: 

The guarantee of free data roaming when travelling in Europe has now come to an end. Travellers should check with their mobile phone network provider for any data roaming charges prior to travel.

A new UK law has been put into place to protect consumers from unknowingly incurring excessive data roaming charges.  

You can read more about data roaming whilst in the EU on the government website here


Food & drink: 

There are now restrictions in place over taking specific food products into European countries. Travellers cannot take meat or milk products (or any products containing them) into the EU. There are also restrictions over other food & drink items.

More information about meat & milk product restrictions can be found here 

More information about fruit, vegetables, plants & plant product restrictions can be found here


General travel advice 

Useful travel advice can be found at the following websites:

Guidance on staying safe and healthy abroad

Foreign travel advice

Travel health resources of the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC)

Information on how to stay safe and healthy abroad

Visiting Europe from 1 January 2021

Brexit advice for travellers

If you have any specific questions, please get in touch.

Information correct as of August 2021.